How To Apply For A CSCS Card

What are the CSCS and CPCS?

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) is the leading skills certification scheme within the UK construction industry. Established in 1995, the CSCS was designed to certify that the holder had the appropriate training, experience and qualifications for the type of work they carry out on a construction site.

The Construction Plant Competence Scheme (CPCS) is an affiliated scheme to CSCS. It is designed for individuals that work with plant machinery in the construction and engineering industries. Just like the CSCS Card, it was set up to prove a card holder has the appropriate training, experience and qualifications for the type of work they carry out on a construction site.

Is a CSCS Card a legal requirement

Holding a CSCS Card is not a legal requirement for individuals working on a construction site. Whether or not workers are required to hold a card before they are allowed on site is at the discretion of the principal contractor or client.

However, it is a legal requirement for the principal contractor or client to be able to demonstrate that any individual has the skills and experience required to work safely on site. As a result, most principal contractors require construction workers on their site to hold a valid card.

How do I apply for a CSCS Card?

Once you have contacted Connect Training Services, we will advise you on the relevant NVQ you need to undertake for your specific level of card.

  1. Upon successful completion of your NVQ, we will arrange a suitable time for the test at your level to be undertaken.
  2. A copy of your completion certificate will be required alongside your test results in order for you to apply for the level of CSCS Card tested for. 


Profile pictures will be taken when you take the HS&E test and these will be used on your CSCS card, assuming that your application is successful. If you are applying with an exemption to the HS&E test, you will need to provide a passport style photograph as part of your application. For more information on the photograph requirement, please click HERE


Do I need to pass the HS&E test?

To successfully obtain a CSCS card, individuals are required to pass the appropriate level of CITB Health, Safety and Environment (HS&E) Test, within the last two years.

The test is PC based and can be scheduled at the CITB approved test centre to suit your availability within the centres opening times.

The HS&E Test required is dependent on the qualification that is being applied for. There are three different types of HS&E Test:


The Operative test ensures worker have a minimum level of health, safety and environmental awareness before going on site. The test covers the five core knowledge areas:

  • Legal and management
  • Health and welfare
  • General safety
  • High risk activities
  • Environment


This test is required for the Labourer, Trainee and Apprentice Cards, as well as most of the Blue Skilled Worker and Gold Advanced Craft Cards.


These tests include questions about the five core knowledge areas as well as relevant questions in the chosen specialist areas. The Specialists test can be taken in the following topics:

  • supervisory (SUP)
  • demolition (DEM)
  • plumbing (JIB) (PLUM)
  • highway works (HIW)
  • specialist work at height (WAH)
  • lifts and escalators (LAEE)
  • tunnelling (TUNN)
  • HVACR – heating and plumbing services (HAPS)
  • HVACR – pipefitting and welding (PFW)
  • HVACR – ductwork (DUCT)
  • HVACR – refrigeration and air conditioning (RAAC)
  • HVACE – services and facilities maintenance (SAF)


Specialist tests are required when applying for the Gold Supervisor Card, as well as Blue Skilled Worker and Gold Advanced Craft Cards in certain occupations.

Manager and Professional

This test cover the same five core areas as the Operative Test but also includes question on:

  • construction (design and management) regulations
  • demolition
  • highway works.


Manager and Professional HS&E Tests are required when applying for the Black Managers Card and the Academically or Professionally Qualified Persons Cards.

Potential candidates should note that the HS&E Test is owned and administered by CITB (not CSCS) and as such, any queries relating to the test should be directed to CITB directly.